Friday, April 30, 2010

Woot! Shiiiiiiny!

I got the call from Easy Racers that the frame was ready about 11am. By 1pm I was in Watsonville to get it. Easy Racers' owner Denton Coetzee proudly got the frame down from the rack. Sorry I didn't get a better picture of him.

I was amazed at how mirror-bright the finish was. Denton said that aluminum tubing can sometimes be porous and would not come up this shiny. However, he said, Easy Racers has always paid a premium for Alcoa tubing, avoiding porosity problems.

Two mechanics quickly installed the head-tube bearing cups. This is a simple job provided you have the proper press tool. I don't, so I was glad to have them do the 2-minute job. They also installed the bottom bracket.

Then I happily headed home and as soon as I got there, put the frame down on the lawn for a quick picture.

Be sure to click through and see this at larger size. The old frame had only a small decal on the head tube. Denton and crew had installed the current bronze badge!

First thing I did was put the frame on the stand and apply a coat of wax. This let me get close to admire details such as the welds.

After that, I installed the front and rear brakes. The shiny Tektro brakes do indeed look very appropriate on the shiny frame.

When I had installed the front brakes and front fender, and the rear brake, I put the new two-legged kickstand on and set the bike outside for another picture.

I think I may make this picture of the rear triangle my new face on facebook....


Tomorrow, the drive train.

No comments: