Friday, April 9, 2010

Restoration Teardown: the Frame

As I said, I don't have a picture of my white Gold Rush in service. Strange. But here is its frame, stripped.



This is the classic Gardner Martin frame design that he built in many variations for 25 years or more and his company still builds. This version, the Gold Rush Replica or GRR, is aluminum. As shown here, with the bottom bracket still installed, it weighs just 6.8 pounds! That light structure has supported my weight for 17K miles and shows no sign of cracking.


It does show wear, though. The paint's scratched and peeling all over; here's one of the worst areas.



The bottom bracket is still in it because although I have a tool that mates with its teeth, I couldn't loosen it, even using an 18-inch wrench handle. So I'll have to ask Easy Racers to remove it when I take the frame to them next week.

No comments: