Friday, April 9, 2010

Restoration Teardown: Brakes

I'm not sure what to do with the brakes. They work well and don't look too bad. Here's the front brake in place. Click to the large version to see typical road grime in place.



However, after I took it apart and cleaned it, I found some unfixable light corrosion on the return spring.



It isn't really significant nor even visible when the brake is installed. I'll ask the opinion of the guys at Easy Racers. If there's a genuinely better brake that will bolt on in place of these, I'll get a pair.

I definitely need to replace the brake levers. They are quite unsightly from wear and damage. They take the first hit any time the bike falls over, which it has quite few times.

I need to ask the factory guys what kind of replacement levers to get; there is a world of brake levers but it is hard to know what's compatible with the brakes.

It would be nice to convert to V-brakes; it would be even sweeter to convert to sexy-looking disc brakes. Alas, the 1997-era frame doesn't accommodate either option. I'd have to buy a new frame, in which case it wouldn't really be a restoration; it would be buying a whole new bike.

There is a small chance that, when the factory guys are stripping and polishing the frame, they'll discover cracks and and recommend replacing it. In that case, I suppose I'd just have to get a new frame, and then disc brakes front and rear would be order of the day. But honestly: I can lock either wheel on dry pavement using these brakes. Truthfully, the discs wouldn't add anything but sexy looks.

No comments: