Thursday, June 10, 2010

Early days with Bram the Stoker

I've ridden about 60 miles with my new, electric stoker on behind. Since it's a bit inhuman, and brought to life by electricity, it seems appropriate to name it Bram Stoker.

So, how is Bram as a riding partner?

Weight

Well, for a start, Bram's heavy. The restored bike, before installation, felt "light and tight" to ride. The BionX battery pack weighs about 8.4 pounds (about 3.8Kg); the rear wheel with its hub motor, heavier spokes, and assorted wires adds perhaps another 5 pounds (2Kg). Not a huge amount of weight, but it is enough to make the bike feel hefty and a bit top-heavy when I wheel it out of the house.

Assist Levels

With no assist on, the bike accelerates slowly and would be hard to take up a hill. Or so I assume, since I've not tried climbing any hills with zero assist.

With assist level 1 on, the bike accelerates and climbs approximately like it did before the conversion.

According to the BionX manual, level 1 adds 35% to the rider's own torque output. While I have not yet begun to test this in any rigorous way, I would say it just about compensates for the weight of the motor. Certainly this level does not do anything to keep you from getting a good workout. The thing is, Bram doesn't voluntarily move the bike (unless you operate the manual throttle, described later). You have to apply torque to the pedals before the motor will begin to add its 35% to that torque. In order to feel it, or to get any visible indication on the console ammeter, you have to apply enough torque that would accelerate the bike in any case. Which means, you end up sweating.

There's a tiny bit of lag, maybe a quarter-second, in the motor's response, both starting and stopping. In other words, you apply pressure to the pedals and the motor kicks in a perceptible instant later. Then, when you back off, there's a tiny moment when the motor's pushing and you aren't. It isn't a problem; just noticeable.

Level 2 (the manual says) adds 75% to your efforts. I find myself dialing in level 2 when climbing a steeper hill when I'm fresh, or the other day, coming home from the gym because I felt tired, dammit, and wanted to. Again, you have to put some torque on the pedals, and then Bram adds a very noticeable boost.

I have only commanded level 3 a few times. Last friday I took a route that climbs a couple of significant hills (Sand Hill road east from Portola valley). This, I discovered, is where the 150% boost of level 3 really comes in useful, if you're not in the greatest of cycling shape. I started up the grade and punched for assist 3, and shortly I was yelling "Woot! Wow! This is the way to climb a hill!" I was still working hard, mind you, but the bike just buzzed up the hill. Climbing hills is fun?!? Good work, Bram!

Level 4 is supposed to add 300% to your own efforts. I haven't tried it except once, briefly. I have a hard time imagining when it would be useful.

Throttle Control

The manual throttle is a thumb-lever sticking out of the bottom of the BionX console. Press it when the bike is rolling, and Bram starts pedalling on his own. I've only done it a couple of times. It feels very sinful. I'm strongly opposed to the idea of the bike as an electric motorcycle. This isn't why I'm on the bike.

Range

I'd like to post here how many miles the system will go on a charge. I can't yet. I charged the battery once, when I brought it home. Now, after 60 miles, the battery gauge on the console is still reporting 3/8 charge. Tomorrow I hope to take it down close to the bottom.

No comments: