Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bike fixed - something learned

I found that by folding the rear seats and pushing the passenger seat all the way forward, I could just squeeze the GRR into our Prius. Monday morning I did that and ferried the bike up to Joe at Velolectric. Within a couple of minutes he had diagnosed the problem.

It seems that the motor axle has to be in a particular orientation relative to the frame. The orientation is shown by a small notch at the left end of the axle. This notch has to be vertically down. (click pics to biggenate)

Somehow, the axle had rotated a quarter-turn from this orientation, producing the failure I had. Joe expressed some puzzlement, saying that he was pretty sure he had torqued the axle properly. "The factory says 30 foot-pounds, and I have a torque wrench just for that."

I didn't say then, but I did 'fess up when I returned Wednesday to pick up the bike, that it was I who had loosened the rear axle. It was my fault it failed!

What had happened was that I received an 11-32 freewheel and wanted to install it. I removed the rear wheel, which was no more awkward than before (it is never very easy to get the rear wheel out of a Tour Easy frame) except that it weighs a bit more now.

Then I found out I couldn't get the freewheel off. This is a notorious problem with traditional freewheels, as documented by Sheldon Brown. You need to clamp the tool into the wheel with the axle nuts, then clamp the tool into a vise and turn the wheel... I couldn't get the freewheel to budge, so I put the wheel back in the bike. I didn't notice the notch or realize its significance, but it must have been in the right orientation because the bike worked fine afterward. Joe explained later that the axle is held into the hub by friction of a cone washer, and doesn't move easily even when the nuts are off.

However, I certainly didn't tighten the axle nuts to 30 ft/lb. I probably tightened it using the Easy Racers triangle-shaped socket wrench, with about 4 inches of leverage. I have strong wrists so probably put, oh... 15 ft/lb? or so ... on the nuts.

Forty miles later, about, coming downhill on regen braking on a bumpy road, the axle rotated a little bit and there we are.

OK, all fixed. But this opens a up a whole new question: suppose I have to change a flat rear tire? The only tool I carry on the road is a little multitool that incorporates a crescent wrench.

Thirty ft/lb torque off that? I don't think so. Flat tires are very rare with modern bike tires but they do happen. Well, if one does, I can perhaps lie on my back on the road and give the wrench a shove with my foot.

No comments: