Saturday, December 27, 2014

Py/Qt5.4 at last

So Phil at Riverbank computing dropped a Christmas present on us all, with PyQt5.4 on December 24th. Today I installed Qt5.4, the latest SIP, and PyQt5.4 on my new iMac and started working on Cobro. This all went very well. The installations went smoothly. I spent a couple of hours reviewing the code of Cobro in Wing IDE. I tidied up some comments. I removed some unnecessary global statements. And then ran it, and was pleased to find that this version can display some comics that it cannot running in 5.2. Apparently some of the many bugs in QWebkit have been fixed. Doesn't matter; my next move (on Monday) will be replace the webkit element with the new QWebEngine ones. Following that, probably Tuesday, I have a couple of minor functional enhancements to add.

Toward the end of the week, or next week, the next step I think will be to try compiling Cobro with Nuitka. In theory, the result of compiling a program like Cobro in Nuitka should be a single, stand-alone, self-supporting executable. If so, that would bypass the need for a packager like pyinstaller.

If the Nuitka experiment doesn't work, I will, as previously planned, start trying to use pyqtdeploy on it.

No comments: