Friday, April 9, 2010

Restoration Teardown: Drive train

No surprise that there's plenty of wear to be seen in the drive train. Here is the significant wear on the chainring teeth,

and here's the matching wear on the 8-speed cassette.


I've ordered replacement chain rings and cassette. I'm staying with the 8-speed setup, although tempted to upgrade to 9-speed. Two reasons: I'm not sure if there will be room for a 9-speed cassette on the Bionx wheel's hub; and anyway I don't think the extra gear choice would be that important with the "electric stoker" behind me.

There is interesting wear on the crank arms:

That's the result of my right shoe polishing the arm for many revolutions. Here's similar wear on the pedal.



I don't plan to replace these parts. Now that I've cleaned and lubed them, they are perfectly functional. Well, maybe the pedals should be replaced, just for looks. The outer ends are heavily scarred, especially the right one, which (along with my right elbow and buttock) took the load when I wiped out on dry pavement last summer.

No comments: